August 25, 2009

Predeparture Jitters




What should I pack? How should I get to my host family's house? Will my host family like me? Do I have everything prepared? Will I make it in a French-speaking country? How much room does a peacoat take up in a suitcase? Where should I visit in Europe? How many pairs of shoes will fit in my suitcase?

AHHHH

I'm having predeparture jitters... filled with questions, excitement, worry, and anticipation. I am officially feeling the reality that I'll be in a new place this fall, as my home (Saint Louis University) started this past Monday without me. That's right, school started without me. I guess it's possible. Sigh, embrace ego-check. I am here in Toronto having a lovely last week with my parents and sweet dog Sadie before leaving, and missing the beginning of the semester at school has me realizing that I won't be there until... January. I know it will seem like a flash, but I can't help but wish I could be part of Freshman move-in or Syllabus Week parties.

However, I've had my brain to keep me busy. I can't stop thinking about preparing for my semester. I know I'll be fine in the long run, but seriously, I'm kind of freaking out.

My mains goals are as follows:
- Get to know Paris, not the touristy kind.
- Get to know myself
- Become better and more confident in my French
- Visit some really great places
- Make good friends
- Overcome tough situations
- Have a blast

I think that sounds do-able, right? I'm ready to tackle my new adventure, and I'm ready to meet the French version of myself. I've prepared long enough, and it's time to get this show on the road. Paris, here I come!

No comments: