September 7, 2009

Sephora and 12-25

So I got to class this morning at 9:30am, which is the time I thought I needed to get there. Well, it turns out I didn't have anything at school until 2pm. So instead of going home or taking the metro somewhere, I just walked around the 14th arrondissement where my school is. This turned out to be very dangerous, as there is a Zara, Petit Bateau, and Sephora all on the street nearby. Not to mention there are countless other shops, I just can't remember their names now.

Sephora was a great experience because while I was upstairs sampling perfumes and eyeshadows, an older woman was being helped my a clerk. The elder lady turned to me and asked in French, "Excusez-moi madamoiselle, but I need your opinion on something. Is this color too much for an elder lady like me?" She was so cute, and I couldn't help but feel proud for being taken for a true Parisienne! I told her it looked lovely, and she thanked me when she left. I might just have to go shop there again. Oh darn.

Also, while on my temps libre (free time) excursion around the 14th, I decided to go to the SNCF store and buy my student discount card for the TGV, or carte 12-25. It's great because after you buy it, you're guaranteed at least a 25% discount off all train tickets, and up to a 60% discount. So it pays for itself after using it 1 or 2 times. The man who helped me was very nice, but he could definitely tell I wasn't French. He was patient however and made sure to speak clearly for me. I was just happy he didn't switch to English like many workers do for Americans. Alas, I bought my 12-25 as well as a train ticket to Lyon. I'll be heading there for the weekend of September 18, and I can't wait! My good friend Mary is studying there, and I'm looking forward to spending a weekend with her in Lyon.

This week, I'm spending my time in French sessions at school in preparation for classes, and then this weekend we're off for a trip to Strasbourg! More on that to come. For now, I'm still loving the post-entrée cheese courses at my homestay and getting to know the City of Light.

1 comment:

meg said...

Kelly:

I just read all your blog posts about Paris! Sounds like you are having an amazing time. Enjoy every minute of it, as it will fly by. Are you planning to go to Munich for Oktoberfest? Such fun! Have a great time. Au revoir!